5 truly dangerous foods your dog should NOT eat
Since we adopted Fritz we often double check (through a quick Google search) whether the kitchen snack we want to give Fritz is ok or not. I have to say that sometimes the list of “safe dog food” contradicts to the toxic dog food list. Which confuses me a lot sometimes.
I am currently reading the forever dog book from Dr Karen Becker and Rodney Habib. This book provides the latest science based do’s and don’ts and tells you how to live with your dog happier, healthy and longer.
They provide a short overview of toxic food that dogs really can NOT eat.
With the holidays just around the corner, I’ve added a fifth item that dogs canNOT eat.
Please seek immediately veterinarian assistance if your dog has eaten some of the ingredients above, if you cannot reach the vet, call the pet poison hotline for immediate assistance.
Okay, I have to be honest, I had dogs my entire life with my parents but we were not aware that grapes are toxic to dogs (and cats). When Fritz was a very little puppy, we let him play with grapes and yes, he also ate some of them. During that time, I was in bed and reading a book about how to raise a puppy in 7 days where I read that you should teach your dog not to let them eat from the floor, just in case they are eating grapes or so.... eeeeh that moment we double checked (through a google search) how toxic grapes really were to dogs and we immediate called the pet poison hotline. With some help from the vet we managed to have him throw up all the grapes and thank god he was okay. No more grapes for dogs!
The thing with grapes is that it contains tartaric acid and potassium bitartrate that are uniquely present in high concentrations in grapes, and that dogs and cats are species that has been shown to be sensitive to tartaric acid—with acute kidney failure reported according to older studies.
In the early days I can imagine that onions were fed to dogs as left overs. Also, during BBQ and dinner parties onions are often laying on the floor, and are an easy catch for dogs to pick up and eat. Onions contain N-propyl disulfide, that breaks down the red blood cells and causes anemia in dogs. So please, watch your dog and make sure he will never eat onions.
Most of us are aware that dogs canNOT eat chocolate. Especially during the December months, there is always a lot of chocolate presented on tables, hanging in the Christmas tree or advent calendars. These toxic foods are still loved by dogs, so it is very important to keep them out of reach. Chocolate contains theobromine content that dogs are not able to metabolize. Even a little bit of chocolate can be fatal for your dog, so please pay attention!
Although Macadamia nuts are commonly used in cakes and cookies, Somehow, I see Macadamia nuts left overs on grass fields all the time. Especially during summer. So watch your dog while you walk them in the park during off leash hours and just in general. It's not known yet what it is that causes toxicity in dogs but symptoms are weak legs, abdominal pain, lethargy, increased heart rate, ataxia, and an increased breathing rate.
This is not a toxic food, but especially cooked bones are very dangerous and should never be given to your dogs. Cooked bones can splinter very easily which could end up in your dog’s stomach. With the holidays just around the corner, a lot of dog owners think they can spoil their dog with a cooked bone or left over. With all the horrible consequences afterwards. If you want to give your dog a bone, make sure its raw and not cooked!
Please seek immediately veterinarian assistance when your dog has eaten some of the ingredients above, if you cannot reach the vet. Call the pet poison hotline for immediate assistance.